Why Do Men Reject Christ?
Why would anyone reject the precious Son of God?
Why would anyone say “No!” to the free gift that God has given?
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Why would men reject the One who went to the Cross of Suffering in their place?
Why would men reject the One who took their judgment of sin upon His own body?
Why would anyone turn away from Jesus Who is Eternal Life.
1 John 5:20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.
Jesus is eternal life, if we have Him, we have eternal life.
Why do men intentionally say “no” to the only possible way of escape from their penalty of sin?
Reasons some reject Christ:
I. They Reject Him Because He Requires them something they don’t want to do
A. Jesus Requires A Man To Repent.
Luke 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
1. Repent means that the person is to turn away from sin and turns to God which results in change of life.
2. That is a great requirement.
3. Repent means that you turn around and travel in a totally different direction.
4. Repent means that which you once enjoyed you will hate and despise when you receive Christ.
5. Men rejects Christ because He requires them to repent.
B. Jesus requires us to follow Him.
Matthew 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
1. “Deny himself.”
a. Deny means to “disown.”
b. When we deny ourselves, we are “disowning” self.
c. We are saying that we no longer hold on to any control over the things that will take place in our life, and that control is given to Christ.
d. We no longer make plans that are for us and us alone.
e. We make plans that now are based on what Christ wants us to do.
1) That means that your vacations are planned around the work of God.
2) The spending of your money is planned around the work of God.
3) Our pleasure is planned around the work of God.
f. That is why many reject Christ; they do not want to give up the control of their life.
g. That means that which we do now is not for our benefit, but for Christ’s.
2. “Take up his cross.”
a. This means our cross, not Christ’s.
b. We have a cross that we are supposed to be bearing.
c. The cross was the will of God for Jesus Christ.
d. We are to accept the will of God for our lives and bear it willingly.
e. It’s not always easy to be a follower of Christ.
f. Note with me three basic principles of cross bearing.
1) Cross bearing is voluntary–“if any man will.”
2) Cross bearing is continuous– “daily.”
3) Cross bearing is absolutely necessary to discipleship– “whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.” · Not only, “Deny self”, and “Take up thy cross.”
3. “Follow me.”
a. The bearing of the cross and the following after Christ is the dividing line in discipleship.
b. Men do not want to bear the cross of obedience.
c. Will there be those here today that will step out and say, “I’ll deny myself. I’ll take up my cross, and follow Him.”
d. Will you do that today? When the invitation time comes are you going to walk this aisle and identify with cross-bearing?
II. They Reject Him Because He Isn’t What They Expected Him To Be
A. Some Were Seeking A Social God.
John 6:66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
1. Many today are seeking some sort of social enrichment club.
2. They want to come to church and be told how good they are for being here.
3. But the Word of God tells us that there is none good, no not one!
B. They Thought He Would Be Entertaining or Beneficial To Their Cause.
1. Many folks want Him to be someone that they can call on when they are in times of trouble and need, and then have no obligation later on.
2. But He is more than just a someone to call on for help, He is Lord!
3. When we accept Him in that position, then He has complete rule, authority, and ownership of you.
4. That is why many have and will continue to turn back: they will not surrender or submit to Him.
5. There is a vast difference in a social god, and a Sovereign God.
III. They Reject Him Because They Are Afraid To Trust Their Life To Him
We live in a day when humanity trusts no one.
Humanism has placed such an emphasis on man and his ability until God has been ruled out of our plans and our faith.
A. Do not be afraid to come to Christ.
Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
1. The Heavenly Lamb of God still stands strong and capable of caring for you in all that you may have need.
2. He will never leave you nor forsake you.
3. Do not fear that He will not want you.
John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
B. Do not be afraid that Christ cannot keep you.
Read : John 10:27-30
1. We have all of the assurance of heaven, and of God the Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit that Christ can and will take care of you in all that you trust Him with.
2. Why don’t you trust Him as Saviour today?
People reject Christ because He wants them to do something they don’t want to do. He is not what they expect Him to be, and because they are afraid to trust their life to Him. Wll you like them too? Come to Christ and have eternal life.
Preached: 10 November 2013