What Kind of People does God Use?
Isaiah 6:8 Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me.
Whether you agree or not, “we are saved to serve”. God’s purpose and will to us after salvation is for us to grow spiritually and then be able to serve Him. The problem is some Christians doesn’t know where to start and doesn’t know what to do. They look in admiration to those teachers, song leaders, musicians, etc., who have positions in the church and is well recognized by everybody. They wish they were also talented and gifted like the rest so they can also do something for the cause of Christ. Others know they can do something but are too shy to come forward and tell the pastor they could be of help. Others don’t know what talent gift they are having and waiting for the right time to be discovered. Still others just want to sit down and watch, happy just to be there in the church. What kind of people does God really used?
1. God uses people who are willing and available. Isa. 6:8. Our text tell plainly how the Lord asked, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for us”? Isaiah responded, “Here am I, send me”. God’s call is still true and echoing. He may not call you as a pastor or a missionary but he is calling you to serve him. The question is, ” are you willing and available”? When the disciples who are mostly fisherman were called by the Lord to be fishers of men, they left their net and followed Jesus. They left material gain to obtain spiritual things. The reward of course is enormous. I need not tell you how blessed they are and how much is their reward in heaven. If you are willing and available there is always a place for you in the church to serve. Just come forward. Always remember we have one life to live, if would soon be passed; only what is done for Christ will last. A friend of mine a former manager of Yamaha left his job to pastor a church, a decision derided by many. He may not be earning as much now but he is happier and recently his contribution to the church and the community has been recognized by the Prime minister of Singapore. He will receive much more in heaven. Here am I send me.
2. God uses people who dared to be different and who was not afraid to stand alone. Gen. 6:9. In the time of Noah, the world is full of wickedness and violence that the Lord decided to destroy the earth. But there is one man that is different from the rest, Noah. He was a just man, and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God. He was completely different from all the people and he walked with God. The word perfect here means “blameless”. In this wicked and perverse generation, we can also be different just like Noah. Do not be afraid to stand alone. Joshua and Caleb were not afraid to stand alone against the whole tribe of Israel after scouting the promise land. Their immediate reward, only the two of them were able to enter the promise land. All the people in their generation died in the wilderness. When you decide to serve the Lord, He will never leave you nor forsake you. In the Great Commission in Mat. 28:19-20, the Lord ended his command with the words “I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Here am I send me.
3. God uses people who follow Him completely. Gen. 6:22. Thus did Noah; according to all that God commanded him, so did he. Noah is in complete obedience to the Lord’s command. God’s will in our life is to obey Him. Obedience is the key for a blessed and fruitful life.
Obedience guarantees us not only prosperity but also success. Joshua 1:8 this book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. Obedience secures us entrance into God’s kingdom. Lots of people claim to be Christians but only in word not in deed. The Lord knows them specially the make believers. Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Obedience is our duty in life. Acts 5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men. Here am I send me.
4. God uses people who never give up on commitment. Daniel 3:16-18. The three friends of Daniel were given a choice to worship the golden image created by King Nebuchadnezzar or face death. Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, would rather die than worship the idol. They have total commitment to the God of Israel that even in the face of death; they will never bow down and worship another god. Their commitment to God was honored. They were delivered from the fiery furnace, the king humbled, and they were promoted. What a wonderful testimony. During the Dark Ages, millions of Bible believing Christians were murdered for their faith. They were fed to the lions, burned at stake, drowned, etc. They would rather die than denounce Christ. That is why it is said that “the blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church”. Lots of Baptists died because they are committed to the Scriptural truth that proper way of baptism is by immersion. Their names are unknown but the Lord of Hosts knows them, and that’s all that matters. Read Heb. 11:13-16.
5. Warning: Avoid falling into sin. Psalms 66:18 If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me: Many believers started up well but ended up badly. Jimmy Swaggart started so good and millions of people had been brought to Christ, but in the midst of his popularity, he committed adultery. Jim Bakker of the Pentecostal PTL television program defrauded his followers for $150 million. Some pastors misused the money of the church; some got caught watching pornography, etc. Others were tempted to give up. I’ve seen pastors also who left the ministry when he faced difficulty and opposition. Let us realize that when you serve the Lord, there will be opposition not only in our physical world but in spiritual world. Satan will oppose and cause you to sin so you will lose your testimony and become a stumbling block. Be prayerful and avoid bad company.
God uses men who are committed and available. Those who are never afraid to stand alone and who follow him completely. Most of all He uses men who never give up on commitment. I invite you to start serving the Lord Jesus Christ now. Be like Isaiah, Here am I send me. Serve Him and reap rewards more that you can imagine. Rewards may not come now but is guaranteed in the afterlife.
Preached: 29 December 2013