The Trumpet of the Lord
1 Thessalonians 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
What is the first musical instrument mentioned in the bible? (Gen. 4:21). Trumpet is one of the popular wind instruments in the Old Testament times. It is mentioned in the Bible in sixty verses, so the Word of God has a lot to say about trumpet. It’s a wonder that trumpets which was an earthly device, was heavenly in origin and a tool too which is used by God for a special purpose. In Israel trumpet seem to play a very important role that they have a special feast called “feast of trumpets” which points to the second coming of Christ (Lev. 23:23-25, 1 Thess. 4:16). In the future the sound of the trumpet will signal an important event which will change the history of mankind and God’s dealings with His children and enemies.
I. Trumpet in the Old Testament
1. The first mention of the trumpet in the Old Testament was in the giving of the law in Mount Sinai.
It must have been really a dreadful sight and sound for all the people during that time. The thunders and lightning alone are already very scary. The rumbling sound of thunder is enough to shake the place you are standing. Add to it the thick cloud and the exceeding loud trumpet sound would make even the brave scared. Probably, it’s the first time they heard the trumpet sound also. No wonder Moses himself said, “I exceedingly fear and quake,” Heb 12:21. The trumpet mentioned here is heavenly trumpet.
2. Trumpet in the Old Testament is called “Shophar”. Usually it is made from ram’s horn and perhaps of the horns of other animals and was later made of metal.
3. Moses made two silver trumpets for use by the priests in the Tabernacle (Num. 10:2, 9).
4. It is blown by the priests to call the assembly. Nu 10:2-3,7
5. To sound the alarm for war. Jg. 3:27
6. Trumpets are used in proclaiming kings. 2Ki 9:13; 11:14
7. Giving alarm in cases of danger. Ezek. 33:2-6
II. Miracles Connected with the use of trumpet in the OT.
1. Fall of the walls of Jericho. Joshua 6:20 So the people shouted when the priests blew with the trumpets: and it came to pass, when the people heard the sound of the trumpet, and the people shouted with a great shout, that the wall fell down flat, so that the people went up into the city, every man straight before him, and they took the city.
The miracle of the falling of the walls of Jericho was the miracle of faith (Heb. 11:30). By direct help from God, on the seventh day at the blast of the trumpets, the walls fell down flat. The outer wall is 6 feet thick and the inner wall 12 feet thick, they were 15 feet apart and 30 feet high. The two walls
were linked together by houses built across the top. Yet it fell down. The trumpet used here is earthly trumpet but it has authority from the Lord.
2. Confusion produced in the camp of the Midianites by sound of the trumpets. Judges 7:22 And the three hundred blew the trumpets, and the LORD set every man’s sword against his fellow,
The Lord had chosen 300 to bring victory to the Israelites. If God is to work and be glorified number is not important. God is more concerned on the quality not on the quantity. The trumpet was the sign of the battle advance against the enemy. Again earthly trumpet but with authority from God and the effect is tremendous. The enemies of the Hebrews killed each other. God gave the victory.
III. Trumpet sound symbolizes Christian authority in Peaching and Teaching
1. When we speak today using His written Word, we speak with authority. 1 Corinthians 14:8 For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle? The KJV Bible is the most authoritative and represents the pure Word of God in contrast with the new corrupted versions like NIV, NKJV, NASB, etc. We are accused of being arrogant and narrow minded, but do not be discouraged. Do not be afraid to stand alone. The pure Word of God must be preached plainly and clearly.
IV. Trumpet in the future.
1. In the Rapture – 1 Corinthians 15:52, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. Heavenly trumpet will sound and God’s power to raise the dead will be manifested. Also our earthly bodies will be changed into heavenly body. 1 Thessalonians 4:16 – 17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. What a wonderful promise.
2. The trumpet may sound any moment, meaning our Lord Jesus Christ may come any moment also. With the wars, rumours of wars, famines, pestilence, earthquakes, lawlessness, immorality, ungodliness, rise of satanic activity, false teachers, etc., all these points out for the Lord’s imminent return.
3. Last judgments in the Book of Revelation – There will be what we call Seven Trumpet Judgment (Rev. 8 – 11). Trumpet will signal the beginning of God’s judgments to all inhabitants of the earth. Dreadful and terrifying things that await the sinners who refuse to repent and receive Christ as their personal saviour.
Trumpet has been used in many places in the Old and in the New Testament. Perhaps the most used musical instrument in the Bible. At the sound of the heavenly trumpet we will be taken up. If you haven’t repented from your sins and receive Jesus Christ as your personal Saviour, now is the time. Don’t be left out and suffer terrible punishments and eternal damnation.
Preached: 05 January 2014