What is Hell? Is there really a place which all ungodly people will be punished? Isn’t Hell just a figurative place or just imagination of artists or illustrators? Would a loving God send someone to Hell? These questions and more have been asked by people throughout history. We don’t hear preaching about hell anymore . It is not good to hear, and lots of groups who claimed to be Christians don’t believe in hell. Jonathan Edwards in July 8, 1741 preached a sermon entitled “Sinners in the Hand of An Angry God and the result is mass conversion.
I. Does Hell Really Exist? The answer is absolutely “Yes”.
1. There is a place called Hell and it is an undeniable truth
2. It is the final destination for those who do not receive the precious gift of Salvation through Jesus Christ.
3. Those in Christ will never be there.
4. All we have to do is accept Christ’ shed blood on the cross.
II. What is Hell?
1. The English word “Hell” is translated from the Greek words gehenna and hades.
2. The Hebrew word Sheol has pretty much the same meaning which refers to “the grave,” meaning the unseen place for the dead and, for some, the tormenting world of the rejecters of God.
3. It is an eternal place of final punishment, of torment, gnashing of teeth, captivity, and a place for fallen angels and for Satan.
4. Hell is a name that makes people fear
5. It is a place where people as well as demons don’t want to go.
A. What does the Bible say?
1. Psalm 9:17 – The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.
2. Psalms 55:15 Let death seize upon them, and let them go down quick into hell: for wickedness is in their dwellings, and among them.
3. 2 Peter 2:4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;
4. The words Hell, Hades, and Sheol are found over 50 times in the Bible.
5. If Hell did not exist, why then would God mentioned about it a lot ?
B. What Does Jesus Say?
1. Jesus taught two destinations
2. He taught the destiny of the righteous to be Heaven, no problem with this, we all believe it.
3. The destiny of the unrighteous is e Hell, which a lot of people find it hard to believe.
4. Matthew 7:13-14 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
5. Mark 9:47-48 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
6. Luke 12:4-5 And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.
7. Jesus spoke more on Hell than Heaven.
a. Why? What’s the reason?
b. To serve as a warning to all the people who were on their way to Hell.
II. Why is there a need of Hell?
A. God is Holy – 1 Peter 1:16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
1. He hates sin,
2. God punishes the sinner because of his or her evil
3. So, divine judgment deals out punishment which is precisely appropriate to the sin committed –.Galatians 6:7-8 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.
4. Remember Romans 6:23a – For the wages of sin is death…
B. Hell was originally intended only for the Devil and his fallen angels or demons. . Matthew 25:41, 2 Pet. 2:4.
5. He never wanted to send man there, but it was because of Man’s Free Will and his choices
C. Man Made The Wrong Choices.
1.God doesn’t force anyone into eternal punishment. It is a matter of choice. Joshua 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
2. God does not appoint eternal punishment for any of us we make that choice ourselves.
3. Matthew 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
4. Choose to serve the Devil and you chose the destiny of the Devil.
5. God and Satan are both attracting men.
a. Satan appeals to man through lusts, and ignorance. John 8:44, 2 Jn. 2:15-16.
b. God appeals to man through truth, Godliness and faith in Jesus Christ. John 8:32
6. God does not delight or takes pleasure in the having to put people in Hell; His desire is for men to be saved. 2 Pet. 3:9, Ezekiel 18:32, I Timothy 2:4
D. But you may ask, “How can a loving God send anyone to hell?”
1. This is the consequence of man’s sin and of God’s holiness.
2. Men are not forcibly sent to hell, against their will.
3. They resist God’s will, and they press hard toward hell.
4. Men desire hell in the way that they don’t want God in their life,
5. He does so because they have rejected Jesus, whom God sent to die for their sins.
6. Hell is separation from the presence of God.
III. Who Is Going to Hell?
A. The fate of each man was decided before death, and it was irreversible after death
1. Those who suffer eternally in hell are those who reject Christ.
2. Those who suffer condemnation are those who reject the divine offer of grace in Christ.
1. 2 Thessalonians 1:8-9 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power
2. 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
3. It doesn’t matter what you own, how much good you have done, how many times you came to church, how many churches you were a member of or for how long you were a member, or how many times you were baptized.
a. The only thing that is going to keep you from Hell is by putting your faith and trust in Jesus Christ.
b. Only by His shed blood are we going to escape the burning fires of Hell.
4. Now, wait a minute Pastor, what about people who never heard of Jesus or the Gospel? Are they going to Hell too?
a. Unfortunately, yes.
b. You see God has revealed Himself to each person on this earth by His creation.
c. If you were to read Romans 1:18-23, you would see that God revealed Himself and mankind chose to worship the creation instead of the creator.
d. God created us with a desire to worship something greater than us.
e. God plants an innate sense of who He is within each of us, even without the Word or missionaries.
f. That is one of the reasons, that I believe in Missions so much for the furthering of the Gospel into this world.
C. Angels who sinned and followed Lucifer out of Heaven as we saw in II Peter 2:4
D. So who is going to be in Hell? Those who do not have their names listed in the book of life, by way of accepting Christ as their personal Savior.
This morning you may have thought, ‘What a weird message. What a downer. Why would I want to hear about all of this?’ Well, God wanted you to hear it. He had you come this morning to hear this particular message. I don’t know why. Maybe it was because He knows that you are not truly saved and that you need to accept Him before it is everlasting too late. Maybe he is wanting you to realize that you need to be involved with telling people about Jesus Christ.
As I’ve said before all men have an eternal future; all men live eternally after death. The difference between Heaven and Hell is one’s decision to trust in Jesus Christ for salvation. God wants all men to be saved and to come to the saving knowledge of truth.
What is ever on your heart today, will you come? Will you lay down your petty arguments and selfishness to God and get busy with what is truly important? Will you come?
Preached: 23 June 2013
Most part of the sermon has been taken from the net years back, unfortunately the writer is anonymous. Blessing be upon him for God knows.