Doing the Lord’s Work
Jesus was preparing His disciples for the work that they would be commissioned to do after His death, burial, and resurrection. This is the same work that we are to do. How do we accomplish such a tremendous task?
Today, I will be delivering just a very short message. I want us to look at an event found in the Scriptures and see some basic truths that Jesus was teaching His disciples. From this I hope we can see how these same principles apply to us.
I. Education without the Wisdom of God is Failure.
1. Peter knew fishing.
2. Peter had grown up learning how, when, and where to fish.
3. He knew that it was not in the morning, not in the deep, and not in the manner that Jesus was instructing them.
4. But Peter responded, “Nevertheless at thy word.”
In the 1970’s the number of students in secular universities fell by 14% but for Bible Colleges it jumped 7.5%.
It is said that Protestants boys and girls receive 52 hours of religious instructions a year. Jewish boys and girls receive 248 hours of religious instruction a year and Roman Catholic receive 305 hours a year. Due to tardiness, untrained Sunday School teachers, absences, poor lesson materials and surroundings, it is said that even 52 hours of instruction actually only average about 17 hours per year.
II. Experience without the Spirit of God is Futility.
Zech. 4:6b Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.
1. Note v5, ‘toiled’ means they labored , they worked hard to the point that they were without strength. (Have you ever been there, have you experienced working hard yet see no result?)
2. He wouldn’t have listened to another fisherman trying to give him advice.
3. But this was the Lord Jesus Christ
III. Energy without the Power of God is Fruitless.
John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
1. If I expend energy without the power of God upon my life, I am just going through the motions.
1 Corinthians 9:26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
2. Let’s not waste time and energy.
* Illustration of speedometer while on ice patch. Going nowhere fast.
* Note: compare v4 with v5 • What is wrong here?
* Now consider v6-7
* If Peter had done exactly what Jesus had instructed, what would have been the result?
* Much like Joash and Elisha in 2 Kings 13:18-19
The result is seen in v8-9. The catch of fish was so great that Peter and the rest could not handle it. Peter falls down before Jesus declaring Him to be Lord. Jesus then tells them that from now on, they will be fishing for men…not fish.
That is our mission.
1. To reach this world with the Gospel message.
2. To see men women boys and girls come to salvation.
3. If we are going to be effective. We need to remember these truths.